Brief Description of Programme/Project:
- The programme aims to promote Chinese Language learning and cultural immersion among students from Singapore and their PRC counterpart. In addition, it also encourages students to learn the rich history and culture of People's Republic of China and also the recent development in the modern China.
- 2 separate groups of students to be led by their teachers to visit the schools for a different experiential learning and cultural immersion in China :
- Hostel-Stay Experience in Xi'an - Gao Xin No.1 High School 西安高新 第一中学 Selected TKGS students will attend lesson with their PRC peers in school on weekdays and shall visit the historical sites and places of interests in Xi'an during weekend during the stated period.
- TKGS was also selected by School to be involved in the Tianjin No.9 Middle School Exchange Programme since 2014.
- To promote interest of learning Chinese Language and Culture for students.
- To provide opportunities for educational exchanges between local and foreign Chinese Students and establish good rapport between local and foreign schools. This is in line with the aims and objectives of the Committee to Promote Chinese Language Learning (CPCLL) and its Working Groups headed by Mr Wee Heng Tin, former Director-General of Education.
- To build better rapport with PRC schools which had had already in contact due to PRC scholar's recruitment programme. To enhance better affiliation relationship.
- To establish a learning circle network for a lifelong learning and friendship among Singapore students and their PRC counterpart.
- To provide a platform for experiential learning in a different context and environment by organizing a school learning experience and also a hostel-stay experience with PRC students in Xi'an.
- To put into practice their knowledge and experience gained through classroom learning.
Xi'An & Tian Jin
This is again the time of the year (August 2016) where we
welcome guests from Xi’An, Gao Xin No. 1 Middle School. 8 teachers and 40
students visited our school and participated in various activities with us. We
attended lessons together, though they may not be proficient in the language,
but they participated actively in class discussion. They showed great interest
in our school’s curriculum especially in Science and Mathematics.
We brought the guests to various places in Singapore, such as the Science Centre, Changi Museum, NEWater Visitor Centre. They particularly enjoyed the experience at the Newater Centre as they learned about the process of water treatment through videos, guided tour and activities. Xi’An students had an enjoyable and fun Kinball Match in the school hall together with their teachers and several TKGS staff. As part of the Mother Tongue Cultural Week, Jiu Jian, a famous Singaporean songwriter came to TKGS to give a talk to both the Xi’An guests and TKGians. Overall, this exchange trip between TKGS and our partner schools, have certainly widened our global perspectives.
By: Seow Yu Xiu ( 3E7 )